CVRD owns and operates the Comox Valley Aquatic Centre (pool facilities), Comox Valley Sports Centre (two ice sheets, wellness centre and pool facilities), Comox Valley Curling Centre, track and synthetic turf field and the Exhibition Grounds. Administration, recreation grants, and operation oversight of the facilities and programs is delegated to the Comox Valley Recreation Commission.
The Commission undertook its own strategic planning session in 2023. The strategic planning will help guide the future programming and capital plans going forward.
Key Service Outcomes
- Supporting the health of citizens
- Asset management
- Partnerships between jurisdictions and external stakeholders
- Connectivity to recreational services
- Accessibility to recreational services
- Volunteer engagement
- Collaborate with School District 71 facilities
- Greenhouse gas and environmental impact reduction
- Partnerships with K’ómoks First Nation and indigenous community groups.
- Continued implementation of UNDRIP and DRIPA.
Key 2023-2026 Initiatives/Directions:
- Complete and implement the CVRD Recreation Strategic Plan
- Design and construct the new artificial turf
- Develop playing fields use framework and amenity improvements collaboratively
- Analyze capital and climate aspects for ice facilities