How the New Water Treatment System Works
Improvements to the Water Treatment System Include:
- Lake intake to access water found deeper in the lake.
- Raw water pump station near the intake.
- Raw water pipeline from pump station to the treatment plant.
- Water Treatment Plant including filtration and disinfection.
- Treated water pipeline from the plant, connecting to the existing water distribution system.
The new Water Treatment Plant uses filtration, ultra-violet treatment and chlorination to remove bacteria, parasites and viruses from the water and eliminates the need for turbidity-related boil water notices.
Location of the New Water Treatment Facility
A 15.7-hectare parcel of land has been purchased for the construction of the new Water Treatment Plant. The property, located adjacent to 4787 Lake Trail Road, was acquired from Comox Timber Ltd. for $372,160. This particular parcel was identified as the preferred location for the Water Treatment Plant in 2016, primarily because the water distribution system could be fed by gravity from this site, eliminating several pump stations in the existing transmission system. For more information about this land purchase please read our news release.