STAGE 4 WATER RESTRICTIONS - EXTREME CONDITIONS
During stage 4 water restrictions, all use of water for any purpose other than drinking, food preparation and personal hygiene is strictly prohibited.
Stage 4 restrictions apply to businesses in exactly the same way as they do to residential use. If your business uses water as a regular part of its operations, you may need to make adjustments to comply with these restrictions as no permits or exemptions will be issued.
Prohibited uses include:
- Watering lawns, gardens, plants and trees in any manner or by any means, including watering by hand
- Filling or topping off or operating residential or commercial pools, hot tubs, ponds or fountains
- Operating local government outdoor water parks and pools
- Washing vehicles, boats or outdoor surfaces
- Irrigating golf courses and other public and/or school district property
Where reasonably possible, swimming pools, hot tubs, fountains and ponds should be drained for health and safety purposes and such water used for irrigation.
No new lawn permit shall be issued during Stage 4, and no new lawn permit, whenever issued, shall be valid during Stage 4.
Exceptions to Stage 4 Restrictions:
- Using water for health and safety reasons is permitted.
- Water use is permitted for firefighting.
- Local government watermain and hydrant maintenance is permitted, but only for unscheduled safety or public health reasons.
- Water use is permitted for farm and agricultural operations, but only for livestock drinking purposes.
- Cleaning outdoor surfaces is only authorized when required by law to comply with health or safety regulations, or to comply with an order of a regulatory authority having jurisdiction, such as WorkSafeBC or a public health inspector.
- Irrigating local government all-weather playing fields is permitted.
- Spot cleaning of vehicles and boats with a sponge and bucket for health and safety reasons (windows, lights, license plates, etc.) is permitted.
Reporting Water Restriction Infractions
Residents may be fined up to $500 per infraction if found using water contrary to Stage 4 water restrictions.
To report water restriction infractions, please contact:
City of Courtenay
CVRD or Town of Comox
Municipal Ticket Information Bylaw