Updated May 14, 2024
Due to the current high fire risk in the Comox Valley Regional District all fireworks are now banned, any current permits cancelled and no further permits will be issued until further notice. 


How to Apply for a Fireworks Permit

Download and fill out the Application and a Permit to Explode or Set Off Fireworks, and submit it in person to the CVRD office at 770 Harmston Avenue, Courtenay, between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. You can also email the completed application and permit. Upon receipt CVRD staff will be in touch to collect payment over the phone. 

General Information about Fireworks in the CVRD

Bylaw No. 1971 regulates the sale and explosion of fireworks within a part of the Comox Valley Regional District. This bylaw applies in each of Baynes Sound – Denman/Hornby Islands (Electoral Area A), Lazo North (Electoral Area B) and Puntledge – Black Creek (Electoral Area C). 

Important: The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MOTI) does not allow signs on road rights-of-way or attached to existing MOTI signs.

For more information about fireworks permits, regulations and safety, refer to the Fireworks in the CVRD information brochure.

Sale of Fireworks in the CVRD

The sale of fireworks within the electoral areas of the CVRD shall only occur between October 24 and November 1 (inclusive) in any year.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)