New BC Building Code In Effect December 10, 2018

Health, fire, structural and general safety requirements are enforced to protect and promote the well-being of all residents of the Comox Valley Regional District. Homeowners are responsible for carrying out work, or having work carried out, in full accordance with British Columbia Building Code requirements and other applicable regulations.

Applications received beginning December 10, 2018 will be under the BC Building Code 2018.

For more information about the 2018 British Columbia Building Code, Plumbing Code or Fire Code, and to get a copy, click here.

If you wish to construct, alter, repair or demolish a building or structure within one of the three electoral areas (excluding Denman and Hornby Islands) of the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD), you may require a permit.

The type of permit(s) required will depend on the nature of the work to be undertaken. Types of permits include building, plumbing, sprinkler, demolition, fireplace and chimney permits.

How to Apply for a Permit

Applying for a permit from the CVRD requires filling out a permit application, paying a processing fee and providing information detailing the proposed work. Your project may require additional planning approvals such as a development permit, variance, etc which could affect the timing of your project. Check with the Planning & Development staff prior to your building permit application to advise you on the exact needs of your application.

Permit Fees & Charges

An application for a building or other permit must be accompanied by the appropriate processing fee. The building permit fee is based on a percentage of the value of construction, including material and labour. Depending on the project, additional inspection fees may also apply. This fee is non-refundable and shall be credited against the permit fee once the permit is issued.

View Permit Fees & Charges

Permit Checklist & Application Form

For details on required documents to support your application view the permit checklist:

Building Permit Checklist & Application

Current & Archived Building Permits