BC Building Code 2018 Revision 5
Effective May 1, 2023. Applies to building permits applied for on or after May 1, 2023.
- Ministerial Order No. M40, amending the Building Act General Regulation effective May 1, 2023
- Ministerial Order BA 2023 08, amending the BC Building Code effective May 1, 2023
- The Building and Safety Standards Branch (Government of BC) will release more information in the coming weeks. Please email if you have questions.
Planning and Development Services
The following MUST BE COMPLETED prior to submitting a building permit application. All planning applications and approvals:
- Development Permits
- Floodplain Relaxations
- Agricultural Land Commission Approvals including Soils Notice of Intent for secondary dwellings in the Agricultural Land Reserve
Floodplain guidelines are applicable within 100m of the Strait of Georgia. Please contact Planning staff for requirements.
Building Services staff are committed to helping you advance your project and answer any questions you may have. Please email or call 250-334-6006 to enquire about your property and set up a pre-application meeting with planning and building staff to discuss upcoming projects.
Our current anticipated building permit processing time is 10 weeks.
Building and Plumbing Permit Applications
If you wish to construct, alter, repair or demolish a building or structure within one of the three electoral areas (excluding Denman and Hornby Islands) of the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD), you may require a permit.
The type of permit(s) required will depend on the nature of the work to be undertaken. Types of permits include building, plumbing, sprinkler, demolition, fireplace and chimney permits. Applying for a permit from the CVRD requires filling out a permit application, paying a processing fee and providing information detailing the proposed work. Your project may require additional planning approvals such as a development permit, variance, etc which could affect the timing of your project. Check with the Building Services staff prior to your building permit application to advise you on the exact needs of your application.
Digital or Hardcopy?
Building and Plumbing permit applications can be submitted digitally or a hardcopy can be couriered/mailed or dropped off to our main office mail slot. If possible, we prefer digital.
To submit your building permit application digitally, please first download and complete the building permit application form (fillable PDF). See page 2 of the application package for the list of documents required at the time of submission. When you are ready to apply, please contact us online with the property address so that we may send you a secure link and detailed instructions on how to upload your files.
Your submission will be reviewed by staff and you will be notified whether your submission is complete for the purpose of review. Only once your application is determined complete for review by staff will payment be accepted. Payment information can be provided by phone to 250-334-6000 after you have received this confirmation.
Plumbing Permit Applications Now Digital
Plumbing permit applications can now be submitted digitally; visiting the Building Counter is no longer required. To obtain a plumbing permit, follow these steps:
- Download and complete the fillable PDF Plumbing Permit Application form.
- Email the completed PDF form to the Building Department (email address provided on the form)
- Please ensure you indicate the count for each fixture (example, 3 toilets), the complete address for the property and your contact information. Incomplete applications will significantly delay processing time.
- Staff will review the application and contact the plumber to advise of the amount owing and provide payment instructions. Payment can be made over the phone with a credit card.
- Once the permit fees have been paid, the permit will be issued and sent to the plumber.
- Please allow 1-2 weeks to process the plumbing permit application.
Permit Fees & Charges
An application for a building or other permit must be accompanied by the appropriate application processing fee. The application fee is non-refundable and shall be credited against the permit fee when the building permit is ready for issuance. The building permit fee is based on a percentage of the value of construction, including material and labour. Depending on the project, additional inspection fees may also apply.
K’ómoks First Nation Cultural Heritage Investigation Permit (CHIP)
K’ómoks First Nation has established a Cultural Heritage Investigation Permit which is required for development works within 200m of certain watercourses and all areas having archaeological potential. Before starting your project, we ask that you reach out to K’ómoks staff directly to see if your proposed works are within these areas and what requirements they may have. For further information please contact the K’ómoks administrative office at: 250-339-4545 extension 112, or visit: K’ómoks First Nation Lands.
Permit Checklist & Application Form
For details on required documents to support your application view the permit checklist:
Need more information? Please give us a call and we’ll be happy to review the process and provide tips to make your building permit review and inspection processes as easy as possible.
Please call: 250-334-6006 or email to book an inspection. The building official will email a copy of the inspection results after the inspection is completed.
Archive searches for building permits are still being conducted, however, due to the volume of requests and our focus on processing building permit applications, searches will take up to two weeks to complete. We recognize that this timing is challenging when your request relates to a pending purchase or sale of property. Where possible, we encourage realtors and other representatives to follow these steps to complete an online search of our records:
- On our website, click on the iMap link at the bottom of the page
- Click “Launch iMap”
- In the upper left hand corner of the map application, use the “find address or place” field and begin typing the address of the subject property. When the correct address appears, click on it and the map will find the property (may need to zoom in using either mouse scroll or the +/- buttons at the top left).
- Click on the property and a small window will open up. Click on the “more info” beside Building Permit. This will open a new window showing a summary of the permits. Then click at the top on “Building Permits” or “Plumbing Permits”
- This should then show a list of each permit that has been issued to that property since 1987, indicating the permit number, work description and the outcome of all of the inspections that were completed, including final results. An ideal result would have each permit showing “Final Results: Accepted”
- Please note that if the roll number has changed for any reason, the results may not be complete.
Archive search requests can be completed by fillable PDF. Please see the request form for how to submit to the CVRD. There is a fee for the search, please see the linked form for details. We are able to take credit card payment over the phone. If you have further questions about Archive searches, please contact us.
Given our prioritization of building permit processing, the archive search request process will take more time and we appreciate your patience.