2022 Dog Licences Available

  • Spayed / Neutered $10.00
  • Unspayed / Unneutered $25.00
  • Dogs designated as dangerous: $50.00 fee in addition to the regular licensing fee

Dog licensing using tags makes it easy to identify dogs and reconnect lost pets with their owners. If you have a dog that’s over six months of age and are a resident of the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) in one of the following three electoral areas, you need to license your dog each year.

CVRD Electoral Areas that require dog licensing:

Baynes Sound – Denman/Hornby Islands (Electoral Area A) – Vancouver Island portion only

Includes the area south of the City of Courtenay to Cook Creek, including Minto, Royston, Union Bay and Fanny Bay. Note that Denman and Hornby Islands are not included in this context.

Lazo North (Electoral Area B)

Includes Comox Peninsula, Little River, Balmoral Beach, Point Holmes, Bates Beach, Meadowbrook, Huband Road and Tsolum.

Puntledge – Black Creek (Electoral Area C)

Includes Merville, Black Creek, Dove Creek, Saratoga Beach, Arden (west of Cumberland Road), Powerhouse Road, Lake Trail, Marsden, Plateau Road and north to the Oyster River.

For residents of the City of Courtenay, Town of Comox or Village of Cumberland, contact your municipal office for information about dog licensing in your area.

Dog Licensing Fees and Purchase Locations

CVRD Annual Dog Licensing Fees

  • Spayed or neutered - $10
  • Not spayed or neutered - $25 

Purchase Locations:

  • Comox Valley Regional District
    770 Harmston Avenue, Courtenay, BC V9N 0G8
    Tel: 250-334-6000
  • BCSPCA – Comox Valley & District 
    1668 Ryan Road East, Courtenay
    Tel: 250-339-7722
  • Ships Point Improvement District
    7729 Vivian Way, Fanny Bay
    Tel: 250-335-0551
Dog Licensing FAQs
Why am I required to license my dog?

Dog licences are required as part of the CVRD’s Animal Control Service and help reduce the number of unclaimed dogs in the CVRD, as well as assists authorities in locating dog owners and reuniting lost pets. By purchasing your dog's licence, you may are letting people know that your dog belongs with someone and is only one phone call away from going home.

Where does the money from the dog licences go?

The funds from all licences sold are returned to the Animal Control service to further assist with continuing education of the Animal Control regulations in the CVRD as well as to assist with costs of the service.

What happens if I don’t purchase a dog licence?

Individuals within the electoral areas of the CVRD that do not purchase dog licences for their dogs may not be reunited with their lost pet as quickly as a licensed pet would. Owners of un-licenced dogs may also be subject to fines, however, the CVRD is always looking for compliance with our bylaws. 

How is the bylaw enforced?

The bylaw will be enforced by the CVRD’s Animal Control contractors with assistance from CVRD enforcement staff. Licence sales will be both pro-active as well as while Animal Control officers are interacting with dog owners on other issues ie. a dog barking complaint. To report a lost or found dog or any animal control concerns or complaint, contact the CVRD’s Animal Control officer at 250-218-2365 or Email.