FireSmart Program Helps Protect Your Home
Forest fires are a natural part of our ecosystem, and we’re learning that we can’t eliminate them. However, we can reduce the risk of losing our buildings and properties in a wildfire event. The FireSmart program will show you techniques to protect your property from burning. You can do many of these steps yourself with little expense.
The Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD), K'ómoks First Nation, and four CVRD Fire Departments recognize the risk of wildfire in our communities and are working together to reduce the risk. The group has taken advantage of a Provincial Government Community Resiliency Investment (CRI) grant intended to reduce the risk of wildfires and mitigate impacts on BC communities.
Did you know....?
There is a FireSmart Begins at Home App! Use the app to conduct a voluntary wildfire mitigation activities through a self-conducted home assessment. The app guides users through a series of questions about their properties to help identify specific actions to reduce wildfire risk. You can also contact your local fire department to schedule a home assessment.
Become FireSmart by reviewing the available resources to protect your home and community and learn more about the initiatives that are happening across the region. If you have any questions or would like some more information about how you can mitigate the risk of wildfire damage to your property, please call your local fire department.
Local Fire Departments Serving Your FireSmart Needs
- Denman Island Fire Rescue, 250-335-0345
- Fanny Bay Fire 250-335-1011
- Hornby Island Fire Rescue, 250-335-2611
- K'ómoks First Nation, 250-339-4545
- Oyster River Fire Rescue, 250-33-8121
More FireSmart Resouces
- FireSmart101 is a short, free one-hour course for those getting started with FireSmart and who want to learn more.
- Read through the basics FireSmart Principles
- Doing some landscaping on your property? Read the FireSmart Landscaping Guide before you start.
- Make sure you're prepared with the FireSmart Last Minute Evacuation Checklist!