- November 2013 – CVRD board initiated conversion feasibility process.
- June 2014 – CVRD commissions Defero-West consulting to lead review and feasibility study to identify options, costs and roles for Sandwick, City of Courtenay, Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development and CVRD. Status and information update
- September 2015 – The CVRD was successful in receiving some grant funding to cover the costs of the Sandwick infrastructure assessment.
- January 2016 – Comox Valley water committee supports conversion in principle. Staff report to CV Water Committee
- February 2016 – Koers and Associates Engineering Ltd. delivered infrastructure assessment report identifying proposed capital improvements and costs. Water System Assessment Final Report
- April 2016 – Electoral areas services committee and CVRD board support the use of community works funds to assist property owners with conversion costs. Staff report to EASC
- June 2016 – tentative public consultation to be led by Sandwick Waterworks District.
- June 7, 2016 - Open house led by Sandwick Waterworks district with CVRD, City of Courtenay and Island Health representatives to discuss options. Approximately 150 attended this session. The Sandwick Waterworks District will consider feedback from this open house .
- June, 2016 – Public consultation summary report received from Defero-West Local Government Consulting.
- At its June 28, 2016 meeting the Sandwick Water Works District Trustees made the following resolution - "Based on the information in the Sandwick Waterworks Conversion Study Community Consultation Summary, Trustees recommend that Sandwick Waterworks District disband on 31 Dec. 2016 and convert to a Comox Valley Regional district service area. Motion by Phil Ellis. SECONDED by Dave Robinson. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY"
- At its July 26, 2016 meeting the CVRD board received a Sandwick Water Works District water conversion staff report and approved the following resolutions:
“THAT the board approve conversion of Sandwick Water Works District water supply and distribution services to a service of the Comox Valley Regional District based on the work conducted with the Sandwick Water Works District and in support of the Sandwick Water Works District resolution dated June 28, 2016;
AND FURTHER THAT the board request the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development to initiate the conversion process exempting the service from elector approval given the level of consultation conducted by the Sandwick Water Works District;
AND FURTHER THAT the board approve a restructure implementation grant application to the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development to assist with the Sandwick Water Works District conversion and implementation process;
AND FINALLY THAT the board request that the transfer date for the services be set at January 1, 2017.”