In 2016, the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) began the review the Comox Valley Zoning Bylaw No. 2781, adopted in 2005, to align the CVRD’s zoning regulations with the policies and goals set out in the Official Community Plan (adopted in 2014) and the Regional Growth Strategy (adopted in 2011).
Bylaw No. 2781 applied to all three electoral areas within the CVRD. The municipalities of Courtenay, Comox and Cumberland have their own zoning bylaws. On October 29, 2019, Bylaw No 2781 was replaced with the new Rural Comox Valley Zoning Bylaw, No. 520, 2019 upon final reading by the CVRD Board of Directors.
The key policy themes underlying the bylaw review included:
- Modernization for clarity, interpretation and administration
- Support for agriculture and aquaculture
- Support for rural living
- Support for aging in place
- Incorporating sustainable features for example use of solar panels and wind turbines
- Support for rural economic development
Other initiatives including cannabis cultivation, processing/sales and short term vacation rental use were not included within this review process and will be addressed separately at a future date.
Comprehensive Zoning Bylaw Review Timeline
- March 19, 2019 : CVRD Board approved the consultation plan.
- May 2019: Public Open Houses to review the draft bylaw and provide feedback to CVRD planning staff.
- May 6, 2019: Union Bay Community Club and Recreation Association (3:30 - 7 pm)
- May 16, 2019: Oyster River Fire Hall (3:30 - 7 pm)
- May 22, 2019: CVRD Boardroom (3:30 - 7pm)
- June 10, 2019: The proposed draft zoning bylaw was presented to the Electoral Area Services Committee including a request to begin external and First Nation referrals.
- July 15, 2019: The draft Zoning Bylaw presented to the Electoral Area Services Committee for first and second reading and recommend that a public hearing date be set. The proposed date for the Public Hearing is scheduled for August 28, 2019. Click here to view staff report.
- August 28, 2019: Public Hearing Comox Valley Zoning Bylaw No. 520, 2019 (7:00 pm)
- October 1, 2019: CVRD Board gave third reading to Bylaw No. 520 being “Rural Comox Valley Zoning Bylaw, No. 520, 2019”. The next step is a review and approval by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.
- October 15, 2019: The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure reviewed and approved the bylaw.
- October 29, 2019: CVRD Board gave final reading to Bylaw No. 520 “Rural Comox Valley Zoning Bylaw, No. 520, 2019”