Property Taxes


Introduction to Property Taxes

Taxation for regional district residents is different than for municipalities. In accordance with the Local Government Act (RSBC 2015 c.1), the law which governs the activities of local governments in BC, regional districts do not have the authority to issue property tax notices to residents and businesses, nor collect taxation directly from residents. As such, regional districts do not set property tax rates (often referred to as mill rates) for the annual tax requisitions they require to fund the numerous services and capital projects they steward on behalf of the community.

Instead, municipalities (cities, towns, villages, etc.) do this for those regional district services their communities participate in and the provincial Surveyor of Taxes does this for ratepayers living in all rural areas outside of the boundaries of a municipality. If your property is in the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) and is not located in the City of Courtenay, Town of Comox or the Village of Cumberland, it is in a rural area.

Rural areas receive their property tax notice from the province's Surveyor of Taxes Office at the end of May each year with the taxes due by the first business day in July.

The CVRD  provides  over 100 separate services to residents and businesses.

A homeowner’s annual property tax impact will therefore vary depending on the mix of CVRD services provided to either the municipality or to the electoral (rural) area in which their home is located.

Information specific to the taxation for those services you receive from the CVRD and how they will appear on your provincial tax notice can be found on our Tax Inserts page. 

How to Pay Your Rural Property Tax

  •  Log in to or enrol in eTaxBC at 
  • Pay via Electronic Funds Transfer, wire transfer or online banking (see details on the back of your tax notice)
  • Mail a cheque (see details on the back of your tax notice)
  • Visit a Service BC location 

Home Owner Grants

The Home Owner Grant Program is administered by the Province of British Columbia. For more information about how to apply for this program, check the reverse of your property tax notice, visit the Home Owner Grant Program website or call 1-888-355-2700.

How to Apply for Your Home Owner Grant