The CVRD provides the Greater Merville Fire Protection Service and contracts with the City of Courtenay for fire suppression services. The CVRD has committed to construct, equip and operate a new auxiliary fire hall to be located at the Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society property at Williams Beach Road and the Island Highway. This new fire hall is to be managed in collaboration with Oyster River Fire Rescue.
The consultant’s report recommended the development of an auxiliary fire hall, centrally located within the Greater Merville area may provide the following benefits:
- Improved life-safety of the residents within the service area;
- A responding fire hall within eight kilometers of the residents which may lead to reduced fire insurance premiums; and
- Delivery of medical first responder program within the service area
Although the COVID-19 pandemic has presented some challenges, the CVRD continues to move this project forward.
Project Update as of May 14, 2020
Fire Hall Design
The architects and engineering team are currently refining the fire hall design which includes two truck bays, radio room space, training room and equipment storage. Once the design is completed, information will be posted here.
Cost Estimates for Construction and Equipment
Once the design is completed, the engineering team will provide a Class A cost estimate for construction. The CVRD is expecting to receive the cost estimate in the coming weeks.
The new fire hall project also includes the purchase of a fire engine, a tanker truck and the fire service equipment required to provide the service. The estimated cost of this equipment is currently being refined.
The estimates for construction and equipment will form the CVRD’s request to borrow funds through an Electoral Assent process.
The borrowing of funds to complete the project will require elector assent. That is; the residents and property owners of the service area will have to give permission for the CVRD to borrow the funds for construction and equipment purchase for the new Merville Fire Hall.
Prior to the AAP the CVRD will mail a newsletter to each resident and property owner in the service area that introduces this website as the primary source of information for the project, and provide a venue for your questions and answers.
- Alternate Approval Process is planned for summer 2020 to enable borrowing for the project, with public inquiry and feedback opportunities organized prior.
- A report will be presented to an upcoming CVRD Electoral Area Services Committee with full details on the project costs, timing, public engagement and elector approval requirements.
- Volunteer recruitment is ongoing - having a full complement of volunteer fire fighters is essential in order for the hall to operate. For information on how to apply to become a volunteer fire fighter, contact the Oyster River Fire Department.
Be sure to check back for project updates.
For More Information
James Bast, Manager of fire services
Email | Tel: 250-334-6044
The need to establish a fire hall in the Merville region was identified in a study conducted for the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) in 2016.
As a new fire hall would benefit both the Merville Fire Protection Service and the Tsolum-Farnham Fire Protection Service, the CVRD has committed to merging these two services. This will make the project more cost efficient and will ensure that property owners pay an equitable amount toward the auxiliary hall project.
Thank you to all who attended the public information session in August 2018 to hear about the status of the auxiliary fire hall project. We appreciate all of the interest. View the presentation panels.
See more background information below, including staff reports and the newsletters sent to area residents.
- Staff Report - Greater Merville Fire Protection service, Elector Assent for Borrowing (April 16, 2020)
- Public Invitation To Information Session
- Staff Report - Merville Auxiliary Fire Hall Project Electoral Area Services (July 2018)
- Merville Fire Protection Services Newsletter Spring 2018
- Please note incorrect email was printed on newsletter. Please use firstname.lastname@example.org for volunteer firefighter information.
- Staff Report – Merville and Tsolum-Farnham Fire Protection Service Merger and Referendum (Feb 13, 2018)
- Staff Report – Merville Auxiliary Fire Hall Project (Oct 10, 2017)
- Staff Report – Merville Auxiliary Fire Hall Project (Oct 13, 2016 - includes consultant's study final report)