The CVRD provides the Greater Merville Fire Protection Service and has committed to construct, equip and operate a new auxiliary fire hall to be located at the Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society property at Williams Beach Road and the Island Highway. Once completed, this new fire hall will be managed in collaboration with Oyster River Fire Rescue.
The consultant’s report recommended the development of an auxiliary fire hall, centrally located within the Greater Merville area may provide the following benefits:
- Improved life-safety of the residents within the service area
- A responding fire hall within eight kilometers of the residents which may lead to reduced fire insurance premiums
- Delivery of medical first responder program within the service area
Although the COVID-19 pandemic has presented some challenges, the CVRD continues to move this project forward.
Project Updates: February 16, 2022
In part due to supply-chain challenges, the project has experienced some minor delays. This update provides the revised anticipated project schedule.
Photo: Merville Fire Service Tanker Truck
Staff have developed Bylaw No. 689 being "Northern Fire Protection Service Areas Regulation Bylaw No. 689, 2022" that regulates the lighting of fires and other high risk activities in order to provide a greater measure of safety for the residents.
Construction of the fire hall is currently underway with Kinetic Construction Ltd anticipating completion by mid-April 2022. Staff and the project engineer will continue to monitor the construction.
The Oyster River Fire Chief and the Merville volunteer firefighters are currently working with CVRD staff to purchase the duty response truck, the tools, operational equipment and safety gear required to provide the service.
Anticipated Project Schedule
|Project Aspect||Anticipated Completion|
|Fire hall construction||Mid-April 2022|
|Fire engine construction||End of March 2022|
|Fire service tanker truck||Completed|
|Fire service tools and|
|Fire hall "In-Service"||End of April 2022|
Fire Hall Design and Construction
The architect and engineering team has completed the fire hall design which includes:
- Single storey wood framed building that meets post-disaster construction requirements
- Two truck bays (fire engine and tanker truck)
- Radio room space
- Training room space
The Merville Fire Protection service currently has 17 dedicated volunteers that are trained and ready to serve their community but more volunteers are needed. Volunteer recruitment is ongoing and having a full complement of volunteer fire fighters is essential for the hall to operate. Please consider becoming a volunteer firefighter.
For more information on becoming a volunteer firefighter, please contact https://www.oysterriverfire.ca
For More Information
James Bast, Manager of fire services
Email | Tel: 250-334-6044
The need to establish a fire hall in the Merville region was identified in a study conducted for the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) in 2016.
As a new fire hall would benefit both the Merville Fire Protection Service and the Tsolum-Farnham Fire Protection Service, the CVRD has committed to merging these two services. This will make the project more cost efficient and will ensure that property owners pay an equitable amount toward the auxiliary hall project.
At community meetings and Director’s events, attending residents and property owners expressed support for the construction of a Greater Merville auxiliary fire hall.
Thank you to all who attended the public information session in August 2018 to hear about the status of the auxiliary fire hall project. We appreciate all of the interest. View the presentation panels.
See more background information below, including staff reports and the newsletters sent to area residents.
- October 22, 2020 letter to residents and property owners
- August 27, 2020 letter to residents and property owners
- Staff Report - Greater Merville Fire Hall - Elector Assent (August 20, 2020)
- Staff Report - Greater Merville Fire Protection service, Elector Assent for Borrowing (April 16, 2020)
- Staff Report - 2020 - 2024 Financial Plan Function 237 (March 2, 2020)
- Staff Report - Greater Merville Fire Protection Service - Requisition Options (February 4, 2020)
- Staff Report - 2020 - 2024 Financial Plan Function 237 (January 21, 2020)
- Public Invitation To Information Session
- Staff Report - Merville Auxiliary Fire Hall Project Electoral Area Services (July 2018)
- Merville Fire Protection Services Newsletter Spring 2018
- Please note incorrect email was printed on newsletter. Please use firstname.lastname@example.org for volunteer firefighter information.
- Staff Report – Merville and Tsolum-Farnham Fire Protection Service Merger and Referendum (Feb 13, 2018)
- Staff Report – Merville Auxiliary Fire Hall Project (Oct 10, 2017)
- Staff Report – Merville Auxiliary Fire Hall Project (Oct 13, 2016 - includes consultant's study final report)