In response to COVID-19 Joe Walker Park postponing the fire program and closing outdoor cooking shelter effective immediately.
- March 23, 2020 CVRD News Release:
The Regional EOC Announces Further Closures for the Region
Joe Walker Park features approximately 500 metres of waterfront with beach access and views across Georgia Strait to Denman Island. It contains a mixed forest of Douglas fir, Western red cedar, maple, alder, Nootka rose and salal. Seasonal streams cross the site from under the Island Highway.
Recent improvements were made to the park, including the resurfacing of the trails, as well as installation of a new pit toilet and a new staircase designed to improve access to the south end of the park. The picnic shelter has been replaced as a joint effort between the Comox Valley Regional District, Churchill Timberworks, and Sandwick Alternate School. The students learned the art and trade of timber framing during this hands-on project.
- 6550 Island Highway South located between the foreshore and Highway 19A just north of the Buckley Bay Ferry Terminal
- Baynes Sound – Denman/Hornby Islands (Electoral Area A)
- Park waterfront
- Scenic views
- Nature park
- Forested trails
- Picnic tables
- BBQ picnic shelter with wood fire grill
- Beach fire pit
- Leashing is optional
- Beach fires permitted only in the metal fire rings provided, rings removed each year mid-October
- Burn dry, seasoned and untreated firewood, bring a bucket to fully extinguish the fire with water and leave a clean and tidy site
- Fires must be completely extinguished with water (not covered with sand or other material) by 11 pm
- For more information visit our Beach Fires page
Joe Walker Park was originally created in 1976 at the time of the Mystery Beach subdivision and was registered to the Union Bay Waterworks District in 1977. The park was eventually transferred to the Union Bay Community Club. Unable to finance the maintenance and insurance on the property, the Community Club in turn turned the park over to the Comox Valley Regional District in 1992.