September 13, 2019
Quick Response by Sports Centre Staff Prompts Evacuation Following Ammonia Alarm 
Situation Resolved and Facility Open 
 
A high level ammonia alarm was triggered yesterday evening at the Comox Valley Sports Centre. Staff responded immediately and followed established emergency protocols. As a result, the building was evacuated, the plant was turned off and first responders attended the scene. 
 
Following an investigation, the issue was resolved and the facility is at full operations this morning. 
 
“Our staff at the facility are well trained and responded to the situation immediately to ensure the safety of the public and staff,” said Jesse Ketler, Chair of the Comox Valley Sports Commission. “We thank all first responders who attended the scene, as well as the patrons who followed directions and evacuated the facility quickly. Because of the good decisions of all involved, this situation was quickly and safely resolved.”
 
The leak was discovered in a high pressure cut out at the safety monitor in the ammonia system. Refrigeration specialists inspected the system once the situation was resolved and deemed the facility safe to open. 
 
This system was serviced in July 2019 and maintenance is up to date. Technical Safety BC and WorkSafe BC will conduct a follow-up investigation, which is standard protocol anytime an ammonia alarm is triggered.
 
The Comox Valley Regional District is a federation of three electoral areas and three municipalities providing sustainable services for residents and visitors to the area. The members of the regional district work collaboratively on services for the benefit of the diverse urban and rural areas of the Comox Valley.
 

Media Contact:

Jennifer Zbinden, Senior Manager of Recreation Facilities
Comox Valley Regional District
Tel: 250.334.8645