While the regional landfill and the Denman Island and Hornby Island transfer stations and recycling depots are open, all other CVRD facilities remain closed to the public at this time including:
- The Comox Valley Regional District Office at 770 Harmston Avenue
- The Comox Valley Aquatic Centre and Comox Valley Sports Centre
- The Comox Valley Pollution Control Centre
- The rural fire stations of Fanny Bay, Oyster River, Denman and Hornby Island
In support of Emergency Preparedness Week happening May 3 – 9, 2020, the Comox Valley Emergency Program is reminding residents to sign up for the free emergency notifications and check their accounts to ensure accurate phone numbers provided.
These notifications are intended to inform residents about incidents that could impact them in our community. By working together we can take proactive steps to build a safer and more resilient community. For more information and to sign-up visit: www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/getnotified
Take the time to ensure your family and friends are prepared for the unexpected and natural events. For resources on emergency preparedness visit www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/beprepared
Thank you to residents who are avoiding non-essential visits to the landfill. Waste volumes are down slightly this month, although sunny days continue to see more vehicle traffic.
Those with access to a municipal curbside collection and recycling program are reminded to refrain from using the landfill, as capacity is limited while physical distancing remains in place.
Rural residents without curbside pickup should expect delays and limit their visits to yard and essential waste only.
For more information visit: cswm.ca/covid19
Stage 1 water restrictions start May 1 for the Comox Valley Water System. With residents adhering to public health guidelines and remaining in their homes, outdoor water consumption is higher than average for this time of year as residents tend to their yards and gardens.
Under Stage 1, lawn and garden sprinkling is permitted only three days per week from 5 am to 8 am and 7 pm to 10 pm.
To find the watering days for your address and download a summer watering schedule visit www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/restrictions
The CVRD is pleased to report the number of wipes, rags, paper towels and disinfecting products in the sewer system has been decreasing.
Flushing anything other than toilet paper and human waste can result in blocked up pipes, flooded basements and sewage spills into the environment.
Thank you to residents for doing your part to protect our sewer system and avoid creating an additional public health risk.
For more information visit: www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/flush
Thank you to residents who are following physical distancing requirements in our regional parks. Fresh air, exercise and enjoying the natural environment, while respecting the health and safety of others, is an important part of keeping our community healthy during this time.
Visitors to our parks are asked to continue to follow public health recommendations and follow these important guidelines:
- Respect physical distancing practices and stay two metres (six feet) away from others. This distancing measure does not apply to families or household units.
- Stay and play in your local neighbourhood.
- Respect the natural setting and don’t leave a trace. This includes not leaving behind painted rocks or fairy forest plastic, man-made items and garbage.
- No fires are permtted at Goose Spit Park. Beach fire programs have been suspended until further notice at Joe Walker and Little River Crescent Beach.
- Before you go, check your local government website to view the latest facility closures and measures being undertaken to contain COVID-19.
For more information visit: www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/parks
CVRD bylaw officers are actively patrolling regional parks and trails, completing spot checks in the community and providing education to residents about physical distancing. Hot spots and gatherings larger than 50 people are reported to the Ministry of Health.
Residents who are aware of gatherings of over 50 people, have general social distancing concerns or wish to report a businesses operating contrary to the Provincial Orders, can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Manager, External Relations
Comox Valley Regional District