Comox Lake Watershed Protection Plan
In 2016 the CVRD published the Comox Lake Watershed Protection Plan (WPP). Its objective is to guide the management of the Comox Lake watershed for the long-term protection of drinking water at the highest possible quality.
The plan was developed through collaboration between landowners an managers, local government, industry, conservation organizations and Island Health. This plan identifies risks to the watershed and makes recommendations on how to reduce these risks. Ultimately, it recognizes that high quality drinking water is produced by a healthy ecosystem. Its implementation is overseen by a multi-stakeholder round table called the Watershed Advisory Group.
Watershed Protection Plan achievements to date include:
- Water quality monitoring
- Hydrodynamic modeling
- Emergency preparedness and response planning
- Stakeholder collaboration
- Cabin wastewater management improvements
- Land protection at Coal Beach and Perseverance Creek
- Cooperative signage and education projects
- Municipal Natural Assets Initiative
- Connected by Water public education initiatives and K-12 curriculum
Watch this short video to learn more about how the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) is protecting our watershed for future generations:
Our Watershed Protection Plan recognizes that high quality drinking water is produced by a healthy ecosystem. Its objective is to guide the management of the Comox Lake Watershed for the long-term protection of drinking water at the highest possible quality.