UBID Conversion Now Complete
As of July 1, 2021 all Union Bay Improvement District (UBID) services – including water, fire protection and streetlighting – have been converted to the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD). This conversion is the result of a November 2020 referendum, where residents in Union Bay voted 72 percent in favour of transitioning UBID services to the regional district.
To learn more about the conversion and what it means for residents in Union Bay:
- June 2021 Union Bay Residents Newsletter distributed to all homes in the community.
- Frequently-Asked Questions: Review the below FAQs for answers to questions about bills and services.
The UBID offices and website were closed Friday, June 25, 2021.
Who to Call Fridge Magnet
Click the image below for the larger pdf file.
Learn More About UBID Services
The services previously provided by the UBID are now provided by the CVRD. To learn more, visit the below webpages:
- For more info about the Union Bay Water Local Service Area click here
- For more info about the Union Bay Fire Department visit https://unionbayfirerescue.ca/
- For more street lighting information visit: www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/streetlighting
An online webinar was held on May 18, 2021 to provide information about the conversion and answer questions from residents. To review the recording, please click here.
Union Bay Bylaws
Frequently requested bylaws related to Union Bay services are provided below for convenience. Please note:
- The bylaws provided below is not a complete listing of CVRD or Union Bay Improvement District Bylaws. Additional CVRD Bylaws are accessible at comoxvalleyrd.ca/bylaws.
- In some cases a consolidated version has been created and made available to provide a bylaw with all of its amendments incorporated.
- The online versions of bylaws are provided for information or research purposes only. Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of online bylaw documents, you should confirm all information before making any decisions based on them.
For assistance or enquires please contact the Corporate Services Branch by calling 250-334-6000 or completing the online contact form.
- Bylaw No. 278 Water Tolls and Other Charges (consolidated)
- Bylaw No. 194 Water Conservation and Drought Management (consolidated)
- Bylaw No. 226 Water Use and Distribution Bylaw
- Bylaw No. 285 Taxation Bylaw 2021
- Bylaw No. 688 Fire Protection Regulation Bylaw
What is Conversion and How Does it Work?
Frequently Asked Questions
We know the community has a number of questions about the conversion – here’s a few of the most regularly asked:
- October 2020 - UBID Conversion Study Final Report
- October 15, 2020 – Recording of Virtual UBID Conversion Information Session
- October 15, 2020 – Presentation from Virtual UBID Conversion Information Session
- Staff Report - UBID Conversion Study Update (July 3, 2020)
- Staff Report - Project Update and Advisory Working Group Appointment (January 15, 2020)
- November 2019 - Province of BC awarding conversion study funds
- October 2019 - CVRD correspondence to Province of BC and UBID
- Province of BC Improvement District Conversion Guide