About Adult Ice Program Planning
The Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) completed an Adult Ice Use and Allocation Engagement process in early 2022. The goal was to help ensure there were opportunities for ice activities for as many adult residents as possible and that a full complement of programs and services were offered.
A public engagement took place from January 2022 to March 2022. The engagement was divided into two phases:
- Outreach to the general public; and
- A detailed discussion with current ice user groups.
Results led to some changes/additions to public programs for the 2022-2023 season, including an expanded Comox Valley Hockey League (CVHL), a trial senior’s skate/late-night drop-in hockey program and a new registered para-hockey skill development program for youth. Many of the current adult ice users were resistant to large changes to the ice allocation process but were aware change was needed. Their preferred scheduling tool options were:
- Voluntary/mandatory adoption of schedule put forth by the CVRD;
- Discounted late-night use for ice rentals.
At the public engagement process ice users were reassured that the changes to the 2022-2023 ice season would be relatively minor but that larger changes were to be expected for the 2023-2024 ice season.
Thank you to everyone who participated in this process.
Where Are We Now?
The Comox Valley Regional District has made substantial changes to the 2023-2024 season ice schedules. The effected hockey teams were given much time as possible to start looking into alternatives for the 2023-2024 season. Six teams were provided optional ice times to allow for the expansion of the CVRD Hockey League (additional teams were added into existing divisions and a beginner program was added). The Sunday league games from 19-Wing were moved to the CVRD arenas.
- Effected teams have been asked to contact either the CVRD or 19-Wing if they wish to book the optional ice times that are being temporarily held for them until March 20, 2023.
- Effected teams are also being asked to contact the Comox Valley Hockey League if they are interested in signing up for the 2023-2024 season as spots fill up quickly.