Comox Valley Water Distribution Services Merger Project
The Comox Valley Regional District is moving forward on merging the six current water distribution services into one expanded Comox Valley service. The Comox Valley (function 305), Sandwick (306), Greaves Crescent (309), Arden (311), England Road (314) and Marsden/Camco (317) services will be merged as of January 1, 2019.
In April 2018, the Comox Valley Regional Board of Directors resolved to merge the Comox Valley Water Distribution Services, which includes the following water services:
- Comox Valley
What this means to you
A major benefit to being part of a larger service area occurs when an unplanned repair is required. Under the current structure, a small water service area would have to pay the entire cost of a repair even though the benefit could be argued as applying to the entire distribution system. The merged structure will allow for repairs and maintenance throughout the merged service area at a lower cost to everyone.
In general, this system will be more straightforward for property owners. All properties in the merged area will be part of the Greater Comox Valley Water Distribution Service.
The merger will also:
- Achieve economic efficiencies by streamlining budget preparation,
- Simplifying utility bill production and collection,
- Making public communication more straightforward, and
- Enable decisions to be made for the entire distribution service in a holistic and comprehensive manner.
- Information about this merger will be distributed with utility bills in December 2018.
- Details specific to each distribution service swill be included with April 2019 utility bills.
- The merger will be implemented prior to the 2019 parcel tax roll review panel.
- All updates will be posted to this page as they are available.