New Updates on Proposed Service Now Available
Want to learn more about this proposed new service and next steps? Join us for an online open house, hosted on Zoom. Please note, the content for all three session are the same. Click the below links to register (registration is required):
With further assessment and fine-tuning now complete, new details about a proposed roadside garbage and recycling pick up service in the Comox Valley Regional District’s electoral areas are now available. Here are the latest updates:
Service Area Maps
Wondering whether your home would be included in the pick-up service? Click on the interactive map below for a detailed look of each neighbourhood proposed to be serviced.
Note: Have questions about why your property is included or excluded from the service? Please visit www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/ruralroadsideboundary to learn more about qualifications, exemptions and exclusions or to download a PDF version of these maps.
Based on feedback collected during the 2020 survey, the proposed service is detailed as follows:
- Garbage collection once every two weeks, with two cans included in each pick-up, and the opportunity to pay for up to two additional cans per collection
- Recycling collection once every two weeks with unlimited volumes
- Seasonal pick-up of yard waste, once per month from March to November with a limit of six containers per pick-up
- The service would be provided by privately-owned waste-hauling companies contracted by the CVRD
- The estimated cost for this service is between $200-$250/year or $50-$63/quarter. This fee would replace the existing costs residents currently pay to manage their waste, either through landfill fees or private garbage collection services, and would provide one easy disposal option for residents. Cost per household will be confirmed following a competitive procurement process to select a waste collection service contractor.
- Online Open Houses: Join us online to learn more about the proposed service, exemptions and exclusions. See links at top of this page to register.
- Elector Approval: An Alternate Approval Process will be held June 3-July 5, 2021
- If you SUPPORT this new service, NO ACTION is required.
- If you OPPOSE this new service, you can learn how to submit an elector response form at comoxvalleyrd.ca/aap.
- Service Commencement: Should the service be approved by residents, the service will start in spring 2022.
To share your feedback or ask questions about this project – please visit our online engagement hub at www.connectcvrd.ca/ruralroadsidecollection.