New Updates on Proposed Service Now Available

Want to learn more about this proposed new service and next steps? Join us for an online open house, hosted on Zoom. Please note, the content for all three session are the same. Click the below links to register (registration is required):

With further assessment and fine-tuning now complete, new details about a proposed roadside garbage and recycling pick up service in the Comox Valley Regional District’s electoral areas are now available. Here are the latest updates:

Service Area Maps

Wondering whether your home would be included in the pick-up service? Click on the interactive map below for a detailed look of each neighbourhood proposed to be serviced.

Note: Have questions about why your property is included or excluded from the service? Please visit to learn more about qualifications, exemptions and exclusions or to download a PDF version of these maps.

Service Details

Based on feedback collected during the 2020 survey, the proposed service is detailed as follows:

  • Garbage collection once every two weeks, with two cans included in each pick-up, and the opportunity to pay for up to two additional cans per collection
  • Recycling collection once every two weeks with unlimited volumes
  • Seasonal pick-up of yard waste, once per month from March to November with a limit of six containers per pick-up
  • The service would be provided by privately-owned waste-hauling companies contracted by the CVRD
  • The estimated cost for this service is between $200-$250/year or $50-$63/quarter. This fee would replace the existing costs residents currently pay to manage their waste, either through landfill fees or private garbage collection services, and would provide one easy disposal option for residents. Cost per household will be confirmed following a competitive procurement process to select a waste collection service contractor.
  • The CVRD will contract out this service to one or more private companies. All local haulers will be able to participate in an open and transparent selection of service providers. We understand that customer service is important to our residents and this will be a defining criteria in our selection process. We encourage all waste providers to submit a proposal if this service is created.

Click to enlarge graphic


Next Steps

  • Online Open Houses: Join us online to learn more about the proposed service, exemptions and exclusions. See links at top of this page to register.
  • Elector Approval: An Alternate Approval Process will be held June 3-July 5, 2021
    • If you SUPPORT this new service, NO ACTION is required.
    • If you OPPOSE this new service, you can learn how to submit an elector response form at
  • Service Commencement: Should the service be approved by residents, the service will start in spring 2022.

To share your feedback or ask questions about this project – please visit our online engagement hub at

Stay Engaged on this Project

Project Background

In the fall of 2020, electoral area residents were asked to complete a survey that would inform staff and elected officials on interest in a new roadside garbage and recycling collection service, and what service level residents were looking for. More than 3,000 people participated in the survey and as a result, the service area was narrowed down, and that feedback determined proposed service details, specifically, the number of cans and frequency of pick-ups. 

The CVRD is now sharing updated information about the proposed service levels and the area boundaries, and seeking input from residents on the proposed exemptions and exclusions that can further refine the potential service. Join us for one of three online open houses to learn more and provide feedback. See links at top of this page to register. Once this planning work is complete, the community will have the opportunity to say yes or no to the new garbage and recycling service via an Alternate Approval Process starting June 3, 2021.

See the staff report, including the consultation summary, here. Detailed survey results for each Electoral Area neighbourhood are linked below. Please note: Royston, Mount Washington, Denman and Hornby Islands were not included in this review.

Electoral Area A

Staff proposed that the service area include all of Fanny Bay and Union Bay neighbourhoods. The residents around Minto Road are not included; this is a lower density area and adjacent to the existing Royston Garbage Collection service area; staff feel that the best approach for this area may be that interested residents request to be added by petition to the existing Royston service.

Detailed Survey Reports per Neighbourhood

Survey Report Area A1 - Fanny Bay
Survey Report Area A2 - Union Bay
Survey Report Area A3 - Minto Road

(click to enlarge)
Electoral Area A

Electoral Area B

Staff proposed that all of Area B be included within the proposed service area, with some refinement for inaccessible areas or areas of very low density.

Detailed Survey Reports per Neighbourhood

Survey Report Area B1 - Lazo Road
Survey Report Area B2 - Little River
Survey Report Area B3 - Bates Beach

(click to enlarge)
Electoral Area B

Electoral Area C

Staff proposed that the Forbidden Plateau Road area be excluded from the service area due to its low density, low response rate to the survey and reduced interest in the service. Service areas within all other parts of Electoral Area C will be refined.

To the north, the Comox Strathcona Waste Management (CSWM) depot at Black Creek is well used by the residents of Macaulay Road, Black Creek, Saratoga and Miracle Beach. Staff need to evaluate further if establishment of a roadside collection service for recycling, that could be funded by RecycleBC in the future, would undermine the ability to have a RecycleBC funded depot in this same area as is being considered by the CSWM service.

Detailed Survey Reports per Neighbourhood

Survey Report Area C1 - Lake Trail Road
Survey Report Area C2 - Forbidden Plateau
Survey Report Area C3 - Dove Creek
Survey Report Area C4 - Merville and Williams Beach
Survey Report Area C5 - Black Creek
Survey Report Area C6 - Saratoga and Miracle Beach
Survey Report Area C7 - Macauley Road

(click to enlarge)
Electoral Area C

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is the CVRD Pursuing this Service?

What are the benefits of roadside garbage and recycling collection?

Roadside garbage, recycling and yard waste collection can reduce greenhouse gas emissions, increase recycling diversion, improve air quality with reduced yard waste burning, ease pressure on the local landfill, improve convenience and reduce costs for homeowners.

Why is this being considered after it was voted down in 2013?

In the time that has passed since the referendum in 2013, there continues to be interest expressed level for this service. The cost for private garbage pick-up has increased, options for pick-up of recycling are limited in the private sector and options for recycling in the community have changed due to global recycling markets demands. Given these changes, it was decided that the time was right to revisit this proposed service.

Why did some neighbourhoods not move forward, when the community expressed interest?

Along with the survey of community interest, the CVRD’s staff also undertook a technical review of the communities in order to assess details like housing density and road conditions to see if the service could be provided in an affordable way. As a result of this, some neighbourhoods were not recommended to move forward. Those include: the Minto Road area and the Forbidden Plateau Road area.

Service Details – Who, What, When, How?

Who is included in this service?

This service will include garbage, recycling and yard waste collection for all Single Family Dwelling Units within the service area. A dwelling unit is a housing unit with no more than one kitchen, which includes suites. An additional kitchen facility may be permitted under certain circumstances. Find out if your property is within the service area by visiting

Who will do the collection work?

The service would be provided by one or more privately-owned waste-hauling companies contracted by the CVRD. The hauling contract will be awarded through a competitive bid process that will be open and accessible to all companies wishing to provide a hauling service to the CVRD. A reputation for good service delivery will be an important consideration of our assessment in selecting the waste hauling company.

What is the collection frequency?

The proposed service would include:

  • Garbage collection once every two weeks, with two cans included in each pick-up
  • Recycling collection once every two weeks with unlimited collection
  • Seasonal pick-up of yard waste, once per month from March until November, with 6 containers per collection
Can I exceed the two cans garbage limit?

If you will have garbage in excess of the two container limit, you will be able to purchase extra bag tags (stickers) to place on your garbage can for up to two additional cans per pick-up, per household. These extra bag tags will be available for purchase at the Comox Valley Regional District office during business hours, or purchased over the phone and mailed directly to your residence. In addition, the CVRD will identify retail partners that may also make extra bag tags available for purchase within the service area.

What materials can I recycle through this roadside collection?

Any paper including newspaper, flyers, magazines and catalogues; cereal boxes; cardboard; plastic containers, bottles and pails; milk cartons; tetra-paks; paper coffee cups; empty aerosol cans; and plant pots and seedling trays. All materials must be clean and dry. Find out more at

Some items, such as plastic bags, Styrofoam (including foam meat trays) and glass will need to be recycled at one of the three RecycleBC Depots in the Comox Valley.

When will the service start?

If the service is approved by the community, roadside pick-up will begin in spring 2022.

Will I need to use specific containers for my garbage, recycling and yard waste?

As this is a new service and many residents already have garbage and recycling containers they are already using, residents can continue to use their existing containers. A can with a lid reduces water accumulation, windblown litter and attractants. Store recycling and garbage in cans, place the cans in an enclosed structure like a secure garage or shed until the morning of your collection day.

Cost to Residents

What will this cost?

The current estimate for the proposed service is $200-$250/year, per household. Invoices will be mailed together with other CVRD utility bills where possible. The cost for garbage collection will be shown separately from other line items. The option to receive an emailed bill rather than a paper bill will be made available.

How would the cost compare to other options for managing garbage/recycling?

This kind of bundled service ranges between $200-$250/year in other rural areas on Vancouver Island. For comparison two drop-offs per month to the landfill would cost an estimated $260 per year for a homeowner or $487-$560 per year for weekly collection service by a private hauler (not including recycling). Costs are highly variable depending on personal preferences and these are estimates only.

Is this an additional cost to what I am already paying on my taxes?

The amount that both rural and municipal residents currently pay to Comox Strathcona Waste Management (CSWM) represents the cost to manage the landfills, transfer stations and recycling facilities within the Comox Valley and Strathcona Regional Districts. It does not fund the collection of garbage nor recycling from individual homes. 

In addition to what municipal residents contribute to the CSWM service, they also currently pay their local government to fund their curbside collection. The estimate of $200-$250 is what CVRD electoral area residents would pay to fund their own roadside collection of garbage and recycling.

How much will I pay if my house has a secondary suite?

Each dwelling on the property will be charged its own utility fee. Therefore, if there is a secondary suite in your single family dwelling, you will be charged twice the utility fee. This allows for the occupant(s) of each household to each set out two garbage cans at roadside for pick-up.

How much will I pay for the two (or more) houses on my property?

Each dwelling on the property will be charged its own utility fee. Therefore, if there is other detached single family dwelling(s) (i.e. carriage house or mobile home) on the property, the number of utility fee charged will be equivalent to the number of single family dwellings on the property. This allows for the occupant(s) of each household to each set out two garbage cans at roadside for pick-up.

Will there a discount for seniors over 65 years old?

No, all eligible households will pay the same amount to fund the service. Improved convenience to recycling and seasonal collection of yard waste will be a benefit to seniors who may not drive or have access to a pick-up truck.

Will there be a discount if I am below my two can limit of garbage bi-weekly?

No, the utility fee will be based on the same level of service for everyone, garbage pick-up once every other week with a maximum of two cans. Those who have more than two cans will pay for their extra garbage through the purchase of extra bag tags. 

Will there be a discount for seasonal residents?

No, the CVRD has no way of knowing whether a property is occupied or not and the administrative work required to keep track of occupancy would be significant and undermine the efficiency of delivering a consolidated service. There is no option to turn your service ‘on and off’ and pay for only portions of the year.

Do I have to pay if I have a vacant rental dwelling?

Yes. The CVRD has no way of knowing whether a dwelling is occupied or not and the administrative work required to keep track of occupancy would be significant and undermine the efficiency of delivering a consolidated service. You will not be able to turn your service ‘on and off’ and pay for only portions of the year. If the dwelling is deemed habitable (intended for living and sleeping, with cooking and bathing facilities), the owner will be billed for collection services from that dwelling.

Can the invoice be sent directly to the tenant rather than the property owner?

No, it is CVRD policy to invoice the property owner directly as the property owner is ultimately responsible for the invoice. If the invoice remains unpaid at year end, it will be added to the owner’s property taxes. It is between the owner and the tenant as to how that cost is passed along.

What happens if I choose not to pay?

If the APP is successful resulting in the creation of the roadside waste collection service, property owners within the service area will be subject to an established user fee, should the zoning and use qualify their property for the service. The service would still continue if utility invoices were left unpaid; however, outstanding balances would be transferred to the property tax accounts for collection by the Ministry of Finance.

Service Area - Who is Included?

Is my home include in the service area?

Click on our interactive map below for each neighbourhood proposed to be serviced.

Note: Questions about why your property is included or excluded from the service? Please visit to learn more about qualifications, exemptions and exclusions or to download a PDF versions of these maps.

Is my home eligible for the service if I have a Home Occupation permit?

Yes, if the service level that the CVRD is offering manages the amount of waste that your residence and home based business will generate, you would be able to take part in the service. However the trade, occupation, profession or craft which is permitted must be accessory to the principal use of the property as a residence in accordance to this type of permit. The residence must be the principle residence of at least one employee, per the CVRD planning regulations. 

Please note, customization of the service to suit your waste management needs will not be accommodated. If you generate significant quantities of business waste and require additional capacity or more frequent pick-ups you may be able to opt out with proof of a subscription service with a local waste hauling company for a commercial businesses, or an active account at the Comox Valley Waste Management Centre.

What happens if my property is not included in the proposed service area?

At this time, the CVRD is not looking to expand on the proposed service area. The boundaries of the proposed service area were created with consideration for density of homes, efficient collection, and consultation results from 2020. If the Alternate Approval Process is successful and the service is created, there is the ability to join the service in the future by completing a petition.

Approvals and Next Steps

How/when will voters decide on the service?

The CVRD will hold an Alternate Approval Process (AAP) from June 3-July 5, 2021. An AAP – previously known as a ‘counter-petition’ – gives those OPPOSED to the service 30 days to submit an Elector Response Form. If you support the service, no action is required of you. The service is approved if less than 10 per cent of votes submit a response form. Learn more about AAPs at

Opting Out

Can you opt out of the service?

If you are not in support of the service, you will be able to register your opposition to the initiative by completing an Elector Response Form and submitting it to the Corporate Legislative Officer during the public assent period (June 3-July 5, 2021). If the service is successful, you will not be able to opt out after the service. Some exceptions/exemptions apply (see above question). If you would like to discuss your specific residence please contact us.

How will this service address people with mobility challenges?

For residents who have a temporary or permanent mobility challenge, a set out service will be made available. This service allows for the hauling company staff to assist a by picking up and returning garbage and recycling containers from a designated collection point other than the roadside.  To qualify for this service the individual must have a temporary or permanent mobility challenge, and they must not have an able-bodied person over 18 years of age living in the residence. The CVRD or their representative will need to visit the home to identify a safe designated area for staff to gather the bins from, and also to complete the application with the resident. The CVRD may request documentation from a health care provider to accompany the application. The CVRD will pay the hauler additionally for every set out customer, this additional cost may be passed along to the resident. 

The CVRD would like to hear from seniors and residents with mobility challenges on their circumstances and how they currently manage their waste to determine if this set out service as described will work for them, and to anticipate the demand. If you would like to discuss your specific circumstance, please phone 250-334-6075 or email us.

Exemptions and Exclusions

Are some properties exempt or excluded from the service?

Yes, there are some properties within the service area that will not receive this service because they do not meet the principal property use of a residential dwelling, or the property use is better suited to a centralized garbage collection system rather than individual collection. 

Typical property uses that will be excluded from this service include:

  • Vacant land
  • Multifamily residential dwellings served by a central collection point (apartments/condos)
  • Industrial, commercial, institutional buildings
  • Mobile home parks served by a central collection point
  • Recreational Vehicles (not to be confused with Manufactured Homes)

The following property use can request exemption:

  • Farms
Why are Farm zoned properties included as part of the service?

Many properties within the Electoral Area are zoned for use for farming, as well as agriculture, and resource use. 
The CVRD recognizes the important role that family farms play in our community, and that property use can vary greatly on agricultural land. Farms are your homes, and the CVRD wants to include you within this service, but they are also your livelihoods, and that may result in varied amounts of waste generated on your farm depending on your operation. For that reason, farming properties with a dwelling on them have been included, but if you think that your farm will generate too much waste and you want to combine managing your household and farm waste, you can apply for an exemption. 

Where a property has applied for and been assessed as a “Farm” by the Assessment Act (Farm Status from BC Assessment), it will be possible to apply to be exempt from the service if the quantities of waste generated exceed that of a typical household. The farm property owner must also demonstrate that they have an active account at the Comox Valley Waste Management Centre for self-hauling their waste, or provide proof of an active subscription to have their waste managed by a private hauling company.

What if I only use my Farm zone property strictly for farming?

Farm properties that do not have a habitable dwelling on them and only have a Farm Building will not be required to be a part of the service. A declaration signed by the owner may be required indicating that the structure does not contain a residential occupancy.

Why are Commercial or Industrial zoned properties excluded from service?

Properties zoned for commercial or industrial use will not receive service if the principal use of the land is not residential, and they should continue to subscribe to a private hauler for collection, or self-haul their waste to the Comox Valley Waste Management Centre in Cumberland.

Why are Mobile Home Parks zoned properties excluded from service?

The zoning requirements for a mobile home park require that the owner of a mobile home park arrange for the disposal of garbage for the residents of the park. Generally this is in a centralized location and not compatible with the service that we are offering.

Why are Recreational Vehicles parked on my property excluded from service?

The use of a recreational vehicle as a permanent residential dwelling unit is not allowed within the Electoral Area of the CVRD and generally the property will not receive service. An exception may be made where the recreational vehicle is in use as on-site accommodation during the course of construction for a dwelling unit pursuant to a building permit being issued by the Regional District and all conditions specified for section 313 Temporary Residential Occupancy of Recreational Vehicles of “Rural Comox Valley Zoning Bylaw, No. 520, 2019”.

For clarity, a mobile home or modular home is distinct from a Recreational Vehicle and could be serviced.

Why are Multi-family zoned properties (apartments, townhouses, row homes) excluded from service?

“Multi-residential dwelling” means a building divided into three or more dwelling units such as an apartment, townhouse or row house where each unit is occupied or intended to be occupied as the permanent home or residence of one household. The proposed service will not be able to accommodate residential properties that have large front-loading style bins for garbage and recycling as it is directed at providing service to individual households. However, there are some strata properties with individual homes that can set out their own garbage and recycling receptacles, in which case, the CVRD may be able to include these properties as part of the service. If you have any questions, please phone 250-334-6075 or email us.