About the South Sewer Project
The south sewer project was a community wastewater treatment system proposed for Royston and Union Bay. The proposal included a gravity-fed collection system and wastewater treatment plant that would service approximately 950 homes in the area, with the opportunity to include more in future phases.
The proposed project was a partnership between the CVRD and the K’ómoks First Nation. Funding support was proposed from K’ómoks First Nation, the Union of BC Municipalities Strategic Priorities Fund and Public Private Partnership Canada. The project was estimated to cost $56.2 million with roughly $35 million in grant funding on track to being secured.
On June 18, the CVRD conducted a referendum for phase 1 of the south sewer project, which was not successful. The CVRD has continued to assess next steps for liquid waste management in the area.
Update April 2020
The CVRD is reviewing a potential expansion of the Comox Valley Sewer Service to Royston and Union Bay. Follow the project page for updates on the current initiatives.
The CVRD is currently assessing next steps for liquid waste management planning in the south region. With that process underway, some of the material regarding the 2016 south sewer project proposal has been archived. Below is a selection of reports and past materials.
If you are looking for specific information not found on this website, please contact us.
Wastewater Management in the South Region
- Public communications and engagement report and summary
- Glossary of terms
- History of wastewater management in the area
- March 2013 funding announcement
- July 3, 2014 Discussion paper 1 - LWMP process overview and prior investigations
- CVRD LWMP overall process - stages one and two
- 2015 CVRD Feasibility of Continuing to use Private Septic Systems as Primary Wastewater Strategy
- 2011 South Region Sewage Collection, Treatment and Discharge Study
- 2009 Royston/Union Bay Sewage Collection, Treatment and Discharge Study Update
- 2009 Royston and Union Bay Sewage Study: Effects of Onsite Sewage Systems on Water Quality
Additional studies available upon request