In 2017, the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) reviewed the Comox Valley Zoning Bylaw No. 2781, adopted in 2005, to align the CVRD’s zoning regulations with the policies and goals set out in the Official Community Plan (adopted in 2014) and the Regional Growth Strategy (adopted in 2011).
The key policy themes underlying the 2017 bylaw review included:
- Modernization for clarity, interpretation and administration
- Support for agriculture and aquaculture
- Support for rural living
- Support for aging in place
- Enabling implementation of sustainability principles through solar panel and wind energy devices
- Support for rural economic development
- June 26, 2018: Draft Zoning Bylaw with staff report presented to the CVRD Board for approval to move forward with external agency and First Nations referrals.
- July 9, 2018: Presented draft Zoning Bylaw presentation to the Electoral Area Services Committee (EASC) for first reading and recommended a public hearing date be set.
- Early September 2018: Public hearing (if approved by CVRD Board).
- September 2018: Summarize comments from the external agency and First Nations referrals and report back to EASC requesting first/second reading and a public hearing date.
- Mid-September 2018: EASC review public hearing report and complete third reading of Zoning Bylaw.
- Late- September 2018: Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure approval request.
- Early October 2018: CVRD board approves and adopts Zoning Bylaw