NOTE: This is an internal posting and only current Comox Valley Regional District CUPE 556 employees will be considered for this position.
We are currently seeking a regular full-time Waste Management Operator to join our Engineering Services team. Situated at the Comox Valley Waste Management Centre in Cumberland, and reporting to the Supervisor, CVWMC Operations, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Transporting, placing, compacting and covering waste using mobile equipment such as but not limited to compactors, bulldozers or loaders in accordance with the operation and development plan;
- Maintaining yard waste and other stockpiles using equipment such as but not limited to rubber tired loaders, excavator and a tandem gravel truck;
- Operating a tandem cable rolloff truck to haul waste bins from the public drop-off area to the working face for compaction;
- Screening loads of incoming refuse and monitoring yard waste and other stockpiles for restricted or prohibited materials. Disposing of controlled waste in accordance with set procedures or as directed by the Manager of CVWMC Operations or designate;
- Based on operational plans and as directed by the manager, maintaining roads and working areas to ensure they are level and safe for customers and equipment;
- Directing contractors and small haulers to active disposal area and screening waste for controlled or prohibited materials;
- Inspecting, operating, maintaining and cleaning all equipment as per pre-start procedures;
- Explaining and enforcing CVRD bylaws and responding to inquiries from the public;
- Performing routine maintenance of all heavy machinery and stationary equipment.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Safety conscious with a strong knowledge of job hazards and safe work practices and the ability to work independently;
- Experienced in the practices and procedures related to landfill/waste management operations with over two up to and including three years of directly related experience;
- Certified as a BC Qualified Landfill Operator, along with high school graduation, a valid BC Driver’s License (class 3 with air brake endorsement) and Occupational First Aid (Level 1);
- Able to communicate effectively with the general public, contractors and coworkers and exercise good judgment and courtesy at all times;
- Skilled in the use and repair of a variety of tools and equipment;
- Must be able to proficiently operate all landfill equipment including but not limited to compactors, bulldozers, excavators, and front-end loaders.
- Trades certification as a heavy equipment operator and/or certification in road building or earth moving techniques is preferred.
The work schedule for this position is currently Thursday-Sunday (changes to the work schedule may be administered in accordance with the Collective Agreement).
Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time and shall include a resume and cover letter. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.