We are seeking applications from current CVRD CUPE 556 Employees for a full-time Waste Management Attendant to join our Engineering Services team. The Waste Management Attendant operates the landfill scale, collects tipping fees, communicates on waste diversion initiatives and inspects residential user’s loads to ensure incoming waste is properly screened for prohibited and restrictive materials.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Comox Valley Waste Management Centre, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Greeting the general public wishing to deposit refuse and providing information regarding landfill regulations, policies and processes;
- Operating the weight scale, entering customer data into the database, determining tipping fees based on weight, collecting fees, issuing receipts, and providing correct change;
- Balancing receipts and cash at the end of the work day, preparing a sales summary and bank deposit in accordance with accounting procedures;
- Directing the public to the appropriate disposal locations and visually screening the incoming waste to ensure prohibited and restrictive materials do not enter the general waste stream;
- Monitoring recycling and refuse bins and arranging to have them emptied as required;
- Performing routine maintenance and housekeeping of the facilities, scale and surrounding area.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Customer service oriented with the ability to relate effectively with the general public, contractors and coworkers;
- A strong communicator with a welcoming approach;
- Safety-conscious with a demonstrated commitment to safe work practices;
- Experienced in cash handling in a computerized environment and customer service with over six months up to one year of directly related experience along with high school graduation, a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and Occupational First Aid (Level 1);
- Detail oriented, with the ability to process and reconcile payments;
- Knowledgeable in standard practices, procedures, policies, bylaws, codes, regulations, methods and equipment related to the landfill;
- Flexible in working outdoors in all weather conditions for extended periods of time.
Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time and shall include a resume and cover letter. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.