We are seeking a Manager of Long Range Planning and Sustainability to join our team. This dynamic position will be responsible for effective relationship building and strategic communications with key community stakeholders, various levels of government and non-government organizations and all Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) departments. This position provides direct supervision, development, leadership and direction to staff in the department.
Reporting to the General Manager of Planning and Development Services, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Developing and implementing systems and procedures to effectively meet CVRD service delivery requirements; planning services, regional growth strategy delivery, homelessness and support strategies;
- Providing leadership and expertise in developing bylaws, policies and procedures pertaining to long range and sustainability planning within the community;
- Leading revisions, updates, and development of key long range planning bylaws and initiatives including the Official Community Plan and the Regional Growth Strategy;
- Overseeing the development of long range plans and initiatives that address climate change and support increased community resilience;
- Assessing the organization’s current sustainability performance along with identifying and prioritizing key sustainability issues;
- Providing oversight and support for complex policy initiatives that involve comprehensive planning strategy and extensive stakeholder collaboration;
- Collaborating with all CVRD departments to achieve effective cross-functional integration to achieve strategic goals as developed by the CVRD and each branch;
- Building and managing effective relationships with CVRD staff and community stakeholders including developers, community groups, First Nations, and officials of other levels of government in order to meet branch and CVRD objectives, resolve critical issues, provide advice, and remain in the forefront of trends and developments that could potentially impact the regional district;
- Liaising with outside agencies, member municipalities, community based groups and members of the public to understand the underlying issues in making decisions that support the achievement of objectives;
- Providing support as Acting General Manager of Planning and Development Services as required;
- Undertaking other assigned duties as required;
Our ideal candidate is:
- A relationship builder with the ability to develop and maintain rapport with regional district staff, community partners, elected and government officials, First Nations, member municipalities, private landowners, the general public and other affected stakeholders.
- Knowledgeable of federal and provincial legislation relating to the work, including Local Government Act, Land Title Act, Climate Accountability Act, principles of contract and municipal law, regional district service establishment and delivery, and other related statutes, laws, regulations and precedents relating to the work.
- A strategic thinker with strong leadership, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Approachable and team-oriented with the ability to motivate, mentor and develop staff.
- Able to successfully navigate politically sensitive situations, encourage consensus and achieve organizational results.
- Educated in land use planning or a related discipline with a Master’s degree supplemented by university courses law, public policy, administration and environment/sustainability.
- Five years of experience in a supervisory capacity in long range planning and sustainability in a unionized environment, or a suitable combination of experience and education.
- A member of the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Planning Institute of BC and certified in local government administration.
- An advanced user of Microsoft Office with emphasis on presentations and word processing. Strong utilization skills with Adobe Acrobat, Explorer, web utilization skills and SharePoint applications.
Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time and shall include a resume and cover letter. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.