We are seeking a Manager of Financial Operations to join our Financial Services Team. This position works closely with the Chief Financial Officer to manage the finance and general accounting functions of the Comox Valley Regional District, North Island 9-1-1 Corporation (NI911), and the Comox Strathcona Regional Hospital District (CSRHD). This position is responsible for all financial operational activities and manages and directs the work of the finance accounting technicians including accounts receivable/cash receipting, accounts payable, and utilities. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the key accountabilities of this role include:
- Assisting the CFO overseeing the implementation and review of accounting, financial systems, accounting controls, policies and procedures;
- Evaluating and monitoring internal controls to ensure appropriate cash handling, account receivable, accounts payable and inventory management procedures are in place;
- Organizing and managing the preparation of CVRD, NI911 and CSRHD’s accounting and financial records;
- Attending board and committee meetings and making presentations as required;
- Supporting the preparation of the CVRD, NI911, and CSRHD’s annual financial statements with the CFO, liaising with external auditors, preparing financial reports and statistics for internal stakeholders, outside agencies, regulatory bodies and other levels of government, and ensuring the integrity of information;
- Acting as a Financial Signing Officer the CVRD, NI911 and CSRHD;
- Providing acting and backup support to the CFO, Manager of Financial Planning and Manager of Procurement, as required.
Our ideal candidate is:
- A strong leader with a minimum of five years’ experience in financial and accounting functions in local government, preferable in a supervisory capacity of a unionized workforce.
- Educated in Business Commerce with a four year undergraduate degree or other related discipline. A Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) is preferred with a Certificate in Local Government Administration.
- Strong supervisory, leadership, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the CVRDs and related entities operations and its financial and accounting requirements, PSAB experience an asset.
- Proven organizational, analytical, problem solving and time management skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective and productive relationships with management, employees, other local governments, the public and other stakeholders
- Strong consultative, facilitation, consensus building, conflict resolution, negotiation and mediation skills.
- Advanced skills and knowledge of applicable financial and accounting software, Vadim/ICity experience an asset.
Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time and shall include a resume and cover letter. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.