We are currently seeking applications from current CVRD USW1-1937 employees for a full-time Facility Maintenance Worker to join our Recreation team. This position plays a key role in ensuring that CVRD facilities are safe and fit for operations by performing scheduled and preventative maintenance and repairs at the Sports and Aquatic Centres. Reporting to the Facility Maintenance Coordinator, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Performing ice maintenance duties including the installation and removal of arena ice and safe use of ice making equipment for flooding, shaving, and edging of ice
- Monitoring, checking, and controlling arena refrigeration plant, pool circulation, filtration and heating systems, and facility equipment including compressors, pumps, filters, fans, motors, etc.
- Performing a variety ofbuilding cleaning functions including washing/scrubbing floors, disinfecting washrooms, change rooms, pool decks, cleaning public areas, windows, plexi-glass and replenishing supplies
- Performing a variety of building repairs and maintenance tasks including painting, general carpentry, plumbing, and minor electrical repairs
- Performing general ground maintenance activities such as snow and ice removal, parking lot and sidewalk maintenance, grass cutting,edging, weeding and general clean-up of debris
- Set up and take down of facilities for special events, scheduled programs, and user groups
- Performing a safety and security check of facilities and opening and closing facility duties, acting as the designated first aid attendant for staff responding to emergency situations and enforcing facility rules consistently, tactfully, safely, and promptly
Our ideal candidate is:
- Safety conscious and mechanically inclined with aminimum of one year of directly related experience including: arena ice making and maintenance, refrigeration, cleaning, swimming pool filtration, heating and ventilation, pool and hot tub operations
- A strong communicator with a professional approach to customer service
- Knowledgeable in building maintenance, building cleaning, and the building trades such as carpentry, plumbing, and painting
- Skilled in general building maintenance and repairs with the ability to operate and maintain a variety of specialized tools and equipment
- A certified BC Safety Authority Refrigeration Operator (or must obtain within 18 months of hire) and Pool Operator (Level I and II required if employed at the CVRD Aquatic Centre, preferred if employed at the CVRD Sports Centre)
- Certified in Standard First Aid and WHMIS with current Criminal Record clearance and a valid BC Driver’s license
- Able to effectively respond to customer concerns or complaints, including emergency situations when required
- Flexible in working a variety of shifts including days, evenings, weekends and holidays
- Additional preferred qualifications include: Building Service Worker Certificate – Level I or equivalent, Refrigeration Safety Awareness (RSA), Ice Facility Operator (IFO)
Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time and shall include a resume and cover letter. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.