RURAL CUMBERLAND FIRE PROTECTION SERVICE
Thank you for visiting the Comox Valley regional district website regarding the rural Cumberland fire protection service. Our goal is to provide the residents with information regarding some recent changes.
You may have received an information notice by mail because your residence is one of those within the area covered by the rural Cumberland fire protection service, which – until the end of 2011 -- had been provided through the Cumberland fire protection district (CFPD). The CFPD was an improvement district which was a local authority responsible for providing local services. The CFPD had a service agreement with the Village of Cumberland to provide fire protection service through the Cumberland fire department.
At the end of 2011, the CFPD, which had been inactive for a couple of years, was dissolved by a provincial Order in Council and converted to a service of the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD). This new CVRD service is known as rural Cumberland fire protection service, and provides approximately 450 residences with fire protection. The fire protection service area includes four separate and defined segments immediately adjacent to the Village of Cumberland’s boundary and within the boundaries of CVRD’s electoral areas ‘A’ and ‘C. The CVRD and the Village of Cumberland are developing an agreement for the village to continue to provide the fire protection within the fire protection service area.
The now-dissolved fire protection district had an outstanding obligation to the village of $35,000 for service provided in 2011. The adopted CVRD budget for 2012 includes a total requisition of $121,554 for the service. That amount includes sufficient funds to cover the new contract with the Village of Cumberland for 2012, the outstanding amounts owed to the village from the CFPD for 2011, and CVRD operating expenses including liability insurance and contributions to reserve. The proposed 2012-2016 financial plan recommends a requisition of $121,554 in 2013 through to 2016.
Based on 2012 assessed values, the residential tax rate for this service is expected to be $.9497 per $1000 of assessed value. As an example, for a residence with an assessed value of $365,000, the total levy for the service will be approximately $347. The regional district levy replaces the former improvement district levy on property tax for the service.
If you have questions about the service, please contact James Bast, manager of fire services at 250-334-6044.
Some things stay the same:
- Fire protection in your area will still be provided by the Cumberland fire department.
- You still call 911 in case of emergency.
Some things change:
- Prior to 2011, fire protection to approximately 450 residences near Cumberland was provided by way of a service agreement between the Cumberland fire protection district (CFPD) and the village
- The province dissolved the CFPD and converted the service to the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) at the end of 2011
- All of the assets and obligations of the former CFPD were converted to a CVRD service in December 2011
- The former CFPD had unpaid obligations to the village for fire protection services received in 2011
- The tax requisition for 2012 includes funds to cover:
- Repayment of unpaid obligations to the Village of Cumberland.
- The cost of the fire service agreement with the Village of Cumberland for 2012
- CVRD operating expenses, including reserve contributions
- Information notice
- Improvement district
- Establishment bylaw, rural Cumberland fire protection service
- Adopted CVRD budget for 2012
- Rural Cumberland fire protection service map
For further information, you may contact James Bast, manager of fire services at 334-6044 or at