Other Questions

What's an Official Community Plan, Local Area Plan, Electoral Area Plan, and a Greenway Plan? How do they affect my property?
An Official Community Plan, or OCP, is a policy document that provides the overall planning framework for a community or area. It is also a strategic document that guides land use decisions, anywhere from five to 20 years in the future; contains policies to manage growth and maintain local character; and to protect the environment. It may also identify local greenway objectives or transportation, industry and parkland policies, among others, to help a community plan for the future. An example of an OCP is the Rural Comox Valley Official Community Plan.

An Electoral Area Plan and Local Area Plan outline the same type of future land use planning specific to an electoral area or community, but also provide more detailed development polices tailored for that community or area. Examples of these are the area ‘C' Electoral Area Plan; the Union Bay Local Area Plan; and the Area ‘A' Greenway Plan.

A plan affects properties by “designating” them into different land use categories, such as “residential” or “commercial”, etc. The Plan outlines policies and objectives for each of these uses, such as the establishment of development permit areas for the form and character of commercial, industrial and multiple family developments or to encourage the provision of affordable housing.

Please visit our Bylaws section under Official Community Plans to view all of our plans for the various different communities, electoral areas and Islands in the regional district.

How do I make a bylaw complaint?
If you have a concern with an activity or a prohibited use occurring on a property, you may submit a bylaw complaint. The regional district is complaint driven, and a bylaw complaint is a formal process initiated by a complainant so the regional district may investigate the questioned activity. Bylaw complaints must be in writing, with the complainant's contact information and signature. Anonymous complaints will not be investigated. Anonymity is maintained unless where required by a court of law.

For your convenience, you may view and download a copy of a Bylaw Complaint form [PDF - 224 KB], or you may submit a letter. Please address all complaints to the manager of bylaw compliance.

Can I get a copy of a property survey from the regional district?
The regional district does not provide copies of surveys completed by a British Columbia Land Surveyor. You will need to contact the surveyor to request a copy of a survey if one was completed in the past, or you will need to hire a surveyor if no survey exists for a property or it is unknown whether a survey was completed.

Can I get a copy of my lot-plan, which shows the property dimensions?
You may obtain a copy of your lot-plan from BC Assessment Authority.

Is there a noise bylaw? Where does it apply?
There is a noise bylaw in effect for electoral areas A, B, and C. The purpose of the noise bylaws is to regulate or prohibit objectionable noise within the electoral areas noted above. The regional districts believes that certain sounds are objectionable or liable to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of individuals or the public. View and download a copy of the noise bylaws [PDF - 105 KB].

My property is within the floodplain. How is it affected?
Properties within a floodplain may be subjected to floodwaters that may cause damage buildings or structures, which contain goods, possessions or equipment. The Floodplain Management Bylaw may affect your property if it contains or is adjacent to a specified distance of the ocean, a lake, river, wetland, pond, stream, creek or any other body of water that is defined as a watercourse. View and download a copy of the Floodplain Management Bylaw.

How do I find information about a property on Denman or Hornby Islands?
Denman and Hornby Islands are a part of the CVRD (Electoral Area ‘A'), however, their planning services are provided by Islands Trust. The regional district is involved with emergency planning and parks, among other things, on Denman and Hornby Islands. You can also use iMap to find general property information for these islands.