Voter Info

South Sewer Service Referendum
Proposed Service
Ballot Questions
Voter Info

Who can vote?

You are eligible to vote in the upcoming proposed south sewer service referendum if you meet all of the following requirements:  

  1. You must be 18 years of age or older on voting day (June 18, 2016).
  2. You must be a Canadian citizen.
  3. You must have been a resident of B.C. for at least 6 months immediately before you register to vote.
  4. You must be a: 

(a)    Resident elector - been a resident (including tenants/renters) of the proposed service area for at least 30 days immediately before the vote.


(b)   Non-resident elector – you live elsewhere in BC but have owned a property in the proposed service area for at least 30 days prior to the vote.

  1. You must not have been disqualified by law from voting.

Non-resident Property Electors -  You may be eligible to vote as a non-resident property elector if you are 18 years or older, a Canadian citizen, a resident of BC for at least six months before voting day, and a property owner in the proposed service area for at least 30 days before voting day. The property cannot be registered in a corporate name. If more than one person owns the property, a majority of the owners must consent in writing to one of the owners voting. 

To make sure you have the required documentation to vote, you should contact the CVRD offices at for more information about voting as a non-resident property elector before coming to a voting place. 

How can I vote?

In person on referendum day:  Saturday, June 18, 2016, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., at:

  • Royston Elementary School located at 3830 Warren Avenue, Royston, BC; OR
  • Union Bay Community Church Hall located at 5533 Island Highway, Union Bay, BC 

In person at advance voting:  Wednesday, June 8, 2016 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the CVRD boardroom located at 550B Comox Road, Courtenay, BC.

By Mail:

The CVRD will conduct mail ballot voting for this referendum.  Qualified electors may vote by mail if they:

  • have a physical disability, illness or injury that affects their ability to vote at another voting opportunity; OR
  • expect to be absent from the regional district on voting day and at the times of all advance voting opportunities.

An “application to vote by mail” may be obtained by contacting the CVRD in person, by phone at 250-334-6000 or by email at  Packages will be sent out on or about May 10, 2016.  In order to be counted mail ballot votes must be received by the chief election officer no later than 8 pm on Saturday, June 18, 2016. 

How do you register to vote?

The CVRD uses ‘voting day only registration’ and therefore does not have a voters list. By applying to vote by mail, you will receive voter registration information that you will have to fill out. When you submit your mail ballot voting package, including registration forms and ballots, you will be registered to vote.

You must meet all of the previously noted criteria to be eligible to vote as a resident elector or non-resident property elector by mail or in person.

If you need to register as a non-resident property elector, you can contact the chief election officer for an application package.

What to bring?

A voter must produce two pieces of identification. At least one must show their signature and one must show their actual residential address. Photo ID is not required.

Examples of acceptable ID include:

  • BC driver’s license 
  • BC identification card issued by the Motor Vehicle Branch
  • BC services card (note: where the driver’s license and care card are combined, that is treated as one piece of ID)
  • An Owner’s certificate of Insurance and Vehicle License issued by ICBC
  • A social insurance number card
  • A tax notice
  • A credit card or debit card
  • A firearm permit
  • A utility bill such as a hydro bill, telephone bill, natural gas bill, water bill or cable bill, showing residential address. 

If a person does not have two pieces of ID to prove both identity and residency, they can provide a minimum of one piece of ID that demonstrates evidence of the person's identity and swear a “Declaration of Residency” in the presence of the voting official.

Contacting the Chief Election Officer

Address:  600 Comox Road, Courtenay, B.C.  V9N 3P6
Tel:  250-334-6000
Fax:  250-334-4358