Voting Information

Garbage &







Advanced Voting in the CVRD boardroom located at 550B Comox Road, Courtenay

  • Wednesday, November 6, 2013 from 8 8 p.m.
  • Wednesday, November 13, 2013 from 8 8 p.m.

Voting Day – Saturday, November 16, 2013 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

  1. CVRD Boardroom – 550B Comox Road, Courtenay
  2. Living Waters Church – 222 Regent Road, Black Creek
  3. North Island Distance School – 2505 Smith Road, Courtenay
  4. Union Bay Community Hall – 5401 Island Hwy South, Union Bay
  5. Fanny Bay OAP Hall – 418 Ships Point Road, Fanny Bay

Are you entitled to vote?
You are entitled to be registered as an elector and vote in this referendum if you:

  • are at least 18 years of age;
  • are a Canadian citizen;
  • have resided in BC for six consecutive months prior to seeking registration as
    an elector;
  • have either resided or owned property in the proposed service area for 30 days prior to registration;
  • are not under sentence for an indictable offence or currently in custody or in prison;
  • have not been found guilty of an elections offence such as double voting or buying votes;
  • have not been disqualified under the Local Government Act or any law in force in BC.

The CVRD uses ‘same day registration' for voting opportunities. This means that all voters will need to show two pieces of identification at the time of voting. The ID must show your residential address and one piece must have your signature. If your ID doesn't show your residential address, you can make a ‘solemn declaration’ as to your residence. The election official will have the form you need to use to make that declaration.

A person owning property that is registered in a corporate name will not be eligible to register to vote for that property.

Non-Resident Electors

If you own property in the proposed service area and liven elsewhere, you may be eligible to register as a non-resident property elector and vote on the garbage and recycling roadside collection referendum question.

If there is more than one registered owner on a property for which a non-resident property owner wishes to register, only one person is entitled to vote.