In response to indications of growing public interest, directors for the electoral areas of A, B and C brought forward a request at the end of 2012 asking the CVRD to explore the possibility of establishing a residential garbage and recycling collection service in their areas.
As an initial way to find out if residents might support the idea, a short series of questions was included in the 2013 resident survey. Of the 150 rural area residents who participated in the telephone survey, the majority (75 per cent) indicated they would support a roadside collection program.
After reviewing the survey results, the CVRD board directed staff to issue a request for proposals (RFP) in order to obtain more information from potential collection contractors regarding the types of services they offer, and costs. During the September 24th board meeting, BFI Canada was selected as the preferred service provider if residents vote to proceed with the service at a referendum scheduled for Saturday, November 16, 2013.
The proposed service would have included all residential properties within the service area, except for apartment buildings with more than 4 units and mobile home parks. The service area includes the electoral areas of A, B and C excluding Denman Island, Hornby Island, the Royston collection area and the Mount Washington resort community.
Included in the program was weekly pick up of garbage (up to one 80L can) and recycling (unlimited quantities). The initial service contract with BFI Canada would be for a period of three years, at a cost of approximately $150 per household, per year. If it was approved, the service would have began in September, 2014.
In order to establish the roadside solid waste collection service, the CVRD board must adopt Bylaw No. 266 being “Baynes Sound and Electoral Areas ‘B’ and ‘C’ Solid Waste Roadside Collection Service Establishment Bylaw No. 266, 2013 [PDF - 364 KB]”. Elector approval of Bylaw No. 266 was the subject of the November 16, 2013 referendum.
- May 13, 2013 SR roadside collection feasibility study [PDF - 92 KB]
- June 26, 2013 SR roadside collection RFP service parameters [PDF - 890 KB]
- August 27, 2013 SR roadside referendum logistics [PDF - 574 KB]
- September 9, 2013 roadside collection ABC powerpoint [PDF - 66 KB]
- September 20, 2013 roadside RFP results [PDF - 787 KB]
- Original RFP [PDF - 1.4 MB] , Roadside RFP Evaluation [PDF - 77 KB], Addendum #1 [PDF - 70 KB]
- Roadside collection service facts - letter to the editor [PDF - 81 KB]
- CVRD Moves Forward with Roadside Collection Referendum - October 9, 2013 [PDF - 92 KB]
- Roadside Referendum Open House & Community Outreach Advertisement [PDF - 106 KB]
- Roadside Referendum Poster with Details [PDF - 239 KB]
- Don't Throw Out Your Chance to Vote Information Details (Postcard) [PDF - 102 KB]