Public/Business Preparedness and Resources
View Shaw TV's video of emergency exercise Coastal Response, western Canada’s first, full-scale earthquake and tsunami response exercise designed to test the BC Immediate Response Plan to respond in the immediate aftermath of a massive earthquake.
Current locations of sandbags within the CVRD (no charge unless noted)
Oyster River/Black Creek Area
- Michael Oviatt Trucking 4771 Lewis Rd., Campbell River, BC (corner of Hoover Rd. and Lewis Rd.) 250- 703-1294 (fee if picked up outside of an emergency)
- Oyster River Fire Hall, 2241 Catherwood Rd, Black Creek 250-337-8121
Merville/Courtenay area and south
- EMCON 3190 Royston Road, Cumberland, BC, 250-336-8897
- Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) 600 Comox Avenue, Courtenay, BC, 250-334-6000
- Fanny Bay Fire Department, 7512A Cougar Smith Road, Fanny Bay 250-335-1011
During periods of potential flooding, these sites should have sand and sandbags available 24 hours a day. The CVRD and EMCON require you to fill your own bags, and Michael Oviatt Trucking may or may not have filled bags available. Please come prepared to fill your own.
- Central Builders 610 Anderton Ave, Courtenay, BC, 250-334-4416
.99 cents for poly sandbags and 1.09 for the burlap ones. Sand is available in their yard at $8.00 per 30 shovel loads.
- City of Courtenay Phone for details and location: 250-334-4441
Emergency Management BC (EMBC)
A list of hyperlinks to emergency preparedness information on: earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, landslides, avalanches, severe weather, power outages, hazardous material spills, wildfires, and disease outbreaks: